How long can I keep my Maine lobsters alive?
It is strongly recommend that you cook and enjoy your fresh XXL 3.5 lbs Lobsters the day they arrive. Upon arrival we suggest you immediately refrigerate contents or place the entire box in a cool environment. If you are unable to cook the XXL 3.5 lbs Lobsters the day that they arrive, you may partially cook them. To partially cook the XXL 3.5 lbs Lobsters, blanch Lobsters by boiling for one third of the suggested cooking time listed in the cooking guide. Refrigerate the blanched Lobsters for up to 48 hours. When you are ready to serve, place the blanched Lobsters back in boiling water for the remaining two thirds time specified.
Lobster Handling Do’s and Don’ts
1. Follow the suggested cooking times – overcooking can toughen the meat
2. Cook live lobsters the day they arrive
1. Place the lobsters in fresh water or cover with ice cubes, this will kill them within minutes!
2. Freeze live lobsters
3. Remove bands from the lobster claws while alive
4. Expect your lobsters to arrive red, they will turn red after cooking
About our lobsters
All of our lobsters are hand selected hard-shell and wild caught in Maine daily and are antibiotic free. Once the lobsters have been selected and graded, we keep them healthy by holding them in large tanks that have constant recirculation of cold Maine ocean water. Once it is time for your lobsters to be shipped, they are packed in a cooler with some seaweed (when available) and ice packs to ensure they arrive alive and fresh to your doorstep, within 24 hours. To learn more about Maine Lobster Direct, take a look at our about us page.