- Maine mussels – 4 pounds
- Water – 1 1/2 Cups
- Tomatoes – 20 oz canned 1
- Lemon – zested and juiced
- Parsley – 2 tablespoons, chopped
- Parmesan cheese – 1/2 Cup
- Penne pasta – 16 oz, cooked and drained
- Salt and pepper – to taste
Wash mussels, discard any open mussels that do not close when lightly tapped. Discard any cracked mussels. Add water to saucepan. Add mussels, cover and steam until shell open, about 4-5 minutes.
Reserve 1/2 cup of liquid from mussels. Remove mussels from shells, reserving 4-6 shells for garnish. Cook pasta according to package directions. Make sauce by adding canned tomatoes to medium saucepan, stir lemon zest, juice and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Combine mussels, sauce and pasta. Toss lightly. Garnish with reserved mussels in shells and sprigs of parsley. Serve at once with crusty bread. Makes 4 Servings.